- 2 jalapeños, finely diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, pressed or finely diced
- ½ cup fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. key lime juice
- 3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. chipotles in adobo, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. kosher or sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. ancho chili powder
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 lbs. flank steak
- Cowboy butter*, for topping (optional)
Mix all ingredients except for the flank steak in a gallon-sized Ziploc bag. Add flank steak, and allow the steak to marinate in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours and up to overnight.
Preheat oven to 400°.
Heat a cast-iron skillet over high heat until a few drops of water sprinkled in the skillet “dance” and evaporate. Add meat and sear for 3-5 minutes on each side, or until a deep brown color is achieved.
Place the skillet in the oven and check meat with a meat thermometer every 5 minutes until desired cook is reached.
Let meat rest for 10 minutes, tented with foil, and slice against the grain. Serve with a pat of cowboy butter.
*For the cowboy butter:
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- 1 Tbsp. roasted red pepper, finely diced
- 1 tsp. lemon juice or the zest of half a lemon
- 1½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1½ tsp. paprika (optional: smoked paprika)
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Cayenne, cracked black pepper, and salt, to taste
Mix all ingredients together and place on a sheet of plastic wrap. Form into a log shape, roll up in the plastic wrap, and twist the ends. Tuck ends underneath the roll of butter and refrigerate. Unwrap and slice to serve.