Poe’s Tavern was built in 1817 in the territory that would become Hamilton County. The tavern was the courthouse when the county was formed in 1819. It was a known stopover on the Trail of Tears and had a significant Civil War history. The tavern was restored by CWA and dedicated in 2012; it now anchors a park in Soddy-Daisy.
The Montgomery House was built in “Old Washington,” Rhea County in 1815. The Montgomery’s were wealthy planters, but met troubled times brought upon them by the Civil War. The house was occupied until the 1950s. In 2013, it was moved and rebuilt; it is now a private residence.
One of the missions of Chattanooga Woodworking Academy (CWA) is to preserve and rebuild historic log homes. CWA rebuilds these historic homes using traditional hand tools and methods as well as hand-wrought hardware that is authentic to the time period when the homes were originally constructed.
The Easterly House is one of the first log homes built in what is now Sequatchie County. It was built in 1820, rebuilt in 2015, and is now a private residence.