- ½ large eggplant, halved lengthwise, thickly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 chorizo sausages, quartered lengthwise, thickly sliced
- ½ sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 cup orzo pasta, uncooked
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 large tomato, coarsely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
First, clean and cut eggplant. Sprinkle with salt, and allow it to “sweat.” This will remove some of the slightly bitter fluid from the eggplant. After 20-30 minutes, rinse under cold water and set aside.
Heat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat, then add oil. Once oil is heated, place chorizo, onion, and eggplant in the skillet and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. The eggplant and onion will become soft. Continue cooking while adding wine to deglaze the bottom of the skillet. Scrape to dislodge any food bits.
Next, add the orzo, chicken stock, and tomato. Stir until all orzo is immersed. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook on medium heat for 10-12 minutes, and continue to stir occasionally. Once liquid is absorbed and orzo is softened (al dente), add spinach and stir until combined.
Sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese. Add salt, pepper, and optional red pepper flakes to taste.